If you didn't already know (I've told pretty much the world and it's wife/dog/cat/rabbit) it's my birthday on Tuesday - eek! This birthday will mark the end of my years as a teenager, which, quite frankly, is really really weird. I don't feel nearly ready enough to be 'in her twenties', it feels like yesterday I was sat in the school canteen with friends who are now scattered across the country.. Thinking back to my young teenage self, this is what I'd love to have sat the pre-moody-teenager Ellie down and drummed into her head. If only for time travel, hey?
1. IT'S NOT THE END OF THE WORLD
It may seem like it is at the time but seriously, life goes on, it's really not that bad. Just think to yourself, will this matter in 5, 10, 15 years time? Will you even remember it?!
2. DON'T WASTE TEARS OVER BOYS
This relates back to point 1. Listen to all those probably fake Marilyn Monroe quotes floating around of the internet, boys really are not worth your tears. I promise.
3. STEP AWAY FROM JACK WILLS
It's really not that great. Don't get me wrong, some of their pieces are lovely, but honestly El, you don't need to wear at least one item of Jack Wills. Every. Single. Day.
4. SOME PEOPLE WHO SEEM TO BE YOUR FRIENDS AREN'TOuch. I know. It hurts. But it's a bittersweet truth that you're just going to have to come to terms with. Throughout your whole teenage life, and probably for the rest of your adult life too. It hurts, but your life will be SO much better without them.
5. DON'T BE SO NEGATIVE ABOUT SCHOOL
It's there for a reason and will be over before you know it. Not only that, but there will be times in the future where you'll be wishing you could go back to the simplicity of it all.
6. JOIN A SPORTS TEAM
They're fun and will make you exercise. Not only that, but you'll be able to join a sports team at college or uni, which present day you currently is sad you can't really take part in because you skipped P.E. lessons feigning 'lady pains'.
7. DON'T BE NASTY TO YOUR PARENTS
It's more than likely they're only doing it because they care. Plus, you'll regret it. Every time. Learn to appreciate them, they're the only people that'll love you unconditionally, and be there to give you a cuddle and tell you everything will be alright when you need it most.
8. DON'T STRESS ABOUT NOT KNOWING WHAT YOU WANT TO DO WHEN YOU 'GROW UP'
You don't need to have it all figured out right now - and you won't have it all figured out at 20 either. Just keep doing what you like, don't follow the crowd. Eventually you'll find something you'll want to devote a career too. (Hopefully).
9. LOOK AFTER YOUR BODY
Getting on that healthy-eating-daily-exercise bandwagon as soon as you can. It'll seriously pay off getting into the right habits. Because believe me sister, it gets so much harder as you get older. And I have on good authority it'll continue to get harder for the rest of your life.
10. DON'T DO THINGS/BUY THINGS/SAY THINGS/ACT IN CERTAIN WAYS JUST BECAUSE OTHER PEOPLE ARETo be fair to you, you're a hell of a lot better at this than a lot of people your age. But just because your BFF is being rude to her parents and being troublesome in lessons, doesn't mean you have to do it too. Leading me nicely onto my next point...
11. IT'S OKAY TO BE A GEEKIt's not uncool to enjoy school and enjoy learning. It's okay to like science. Don't worry about what everyone else thinks about it. Science is frickin' interesting as hell. It doesn't matter what's 'cool'. Without the 'uncool' things, the 'cool' things wouldn't even exist.
12. ENJOY BEING YOUNGNot having to worry about money and deadlines and bills. Seriously make the most of it. It's not pretty (a.k.a. your skin will show it). It's not fun. It's not something to look forward to. Sorry. Enjoy it while you can.
13. SMILE WOMANLife really isn't that bad. Be happy. Be grateful for what you have. Keep smiling gal*
*despite your chronic resting bitch face.
What would you tell your 13-year-old self if you had the chance?